Pointe du Hoc Ranger Monument France

Contact Us

Pointe du Hoc Ranger Monument
France
tel Phone: +33 (0)2 31 51 62 00

ABMC Overseas Operations Office
68, rue du 19 Janvier
92380 Garches, France
tel +33.(0).1.47.01.19.76

Visiting Hours

Pointe du Hoc is open to the public daily. Hours of operation for the visitor center are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. from April 15 to September 15, and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. the rest of the year. It is open on host country holidays. To ensure your safety, stay on the designated walking path. Because the site has remained relatively unchanged since 1944, large bomb craters and uneven ground fill the landscape.

Overview

The World War II Pointe du Hoc Ranger Monument is located on a cliff eight miles west of Normandy American Cemetery, which overlooks Omaha Beach, France. It was erected by the French to honor elements of the American Second Ranger Battalion under the command of Lt. Col. James E. Rudder. During the American assault of Omaha and Utah beaches on June 6, 1944, these U.S. Army Rangers scaled the 100-foot cliffs and seized the German artillery pieces that could have fired on the American landing troops at Omaha and Utah beaches. At a high cost of life, they successfully defended against determined German counterattacks.

By mid-1944, German forces manned formidable defenses along the French coast. Of concern to the Allies were German 155mm artillery positions on Pointe du Hoc. They could wreak havoc on Utah and Omaha Beaches. Lt. Col. James E. Rudder, commanding the 2nd Ranger Battalion, received the mission to land at 0630 hours, scale the 100 foot cliffs, and disable the German positions. Lt.Col. Max F. Schneider’s 5th Ranger Battalion would follow and reinforce them.

June 6, 0550 hours: Naval bombardment of Pointe du Hoc began, including guns of the battleship USS Texas. Three companies (70 men per) of Rudder’s 2nd Ranger Battalion were to land at Pointe du Hoc at 0630, but were delayed. Per plan, Schneider’s command (plus three companies of the 2nd) joined the Omaha Beach assault.

June 6, 0710: Two landing craft were lost, but the Rangers debarked and started up the cliffs. They pressed upward, supported by the destroyer USS Satterlee. One of the Rangers’ DUKWs was disabled by enemy fire en route to Pointe du Hoc. The engine failed. Three Rangers were casualties, including one killed.

June 6, 0740: Most of the remaining Rangers reached the top.

June 6, 0930: The Germans had previously moved the guns southward from their initial prepared positions. Despite fierce resistance, Rangers found and destroyed the guns pushing onward to cut the highway south of Pointe du Hoc.

June 6-8: After fighting two days, only about 90 Rangers stood when relieved by Schneider’s Rangers and the 29th Division from Omaha Beach.

The monument consists of a simple granite pylon positioned atop a German concrete bunker with tablets at its base inscribed in French and English. The monument was formally transferred to ABMC for perpetual care and maintenance on January 11, 1979. This battle-scarred area on the left flank of Omaha Beach remains much as the Rangers left it.

Stories of Pointe du Hoc

Press escape to close this window. View video

Memorial Day–the federal holiday in which we honor our veterans and remember those who died while in the armed services–originated in the...
More than 500,000 Americans lost their lives in World War I and World War II defending democracy on soil and water far from the United...
The American Battle Monuments Commission is opening to the public a new visitor center at the Pointe du Hoc in Cricqueville en Bessin,...
Experience the history of World War II through a new interactive timeline. View maps, watch videos, see photos and read about the events...