ABMC has a civil service complement of 80 positions, more than 50 of which are located overseas in our 24 cemeteries in 10 countries and the overseas operations headquarters located in Garches, France.
Most of the overseas positions are in the cemetery administrator occupational series, GS-1630, and require experience in the fields of horticulture; construction; maintenance of grounds, structures and equipment; maintenance and administration of property, supplies and records; and public relations.
Because our cemeteries are located in remote areas, proficiency in the host language is a required qualification and a selective factor during the hiring process. Target languages include French, Italian, and Spanish. A minimum rating of 1+ on the speaking and 1+ on the reading scale under the rating criteria of the Interagency Language Roundtable is required to be considered for these positions. See individual vacancy announcements for details.
Individuals selected for employment at one of our cemeteries are hired at the GS-07/09 trainee level and must successfully complete a one-year trial period. Employees are subject to assignment to any ABMC installation worldwide in accordance with the needs of the agency.
All ABMC employees are eligible to receive the following benefits:
In addition, employees posted at overseas duty stations receive:
- Competitive salaries
- Health insurance (including long-term care insurance and flexible savings accounts)
- Life insurance
- Annual and sick leave
- Ten paid holidays per year
- Generous retirement benefits, including participation in the Thrift Savings Plan, a pre-tax savings plan similar to a 401(k)
- Paid moving expenses
- Overseas cost-of-living payments
- Free or subsidized housing
- Generous educational allowances for dependent minor children
- Fifteen days of leave each year to visit the United States (home leave)
Vacancy announcements and application requirements are posted on the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) USAJOBS website. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.