Normandy American Cemetery Mobile App Receives Award for Excellence
The Normandy American Cemetery Mobile App won first place in the 2015 Digital Media category as part of the National Association for Interpretation (NAI) annual media award’s competition. Officially announced during the NAI annul conference in November 2015, this competition promotes excellence in the delivery of natural, cultural, and historical interpretive services. Submissions for these awards were evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Exhibiting an outstanding application of interpretive principles.
- Communicating its intended message effectively and in an appropriate manner.
- Engaging users through effective use of art and technology.
- Utilizing resources and materials with utmost responsibility and to the highest quality possible.
Released in March 2015, the Normandy American Cemetery Mobile app allows users to:
- Plan a visit to the cemetery to include driving directions, operating hours, and parking information
- Take a cemetery tour in as little as one hour, or spend the entire day exploring the site
- Learn the stories of the Americans buried there
- Explore the cemetery grounds, and learn about the design and layout
- Understand the U.S. military’s role in World War II
- See maps of the cemetery and the region, including key points of interest
Free to download for Apple or Android devices, this app helps to tell the story of the nearly 10,000 Americans buried at Normandy American Cemetery. This app, created by Dog Green Productions, is one of six released by the American Battle Monuments Commission.
Established in 1923 by Congress, ABMC is a U.S. government agency charged with commemorating the service, achievements and sacrifice of the U.S. Armed forces where they have served overseas since 1917. ABMC administers our nation’s overseas commemorative cemeteries and federal memorials. For more information visit www.abmc.gov, or connect with us on Facebook, Youtube or Instagram.